Freight Import & Export
From January 31st,2020, the United Kingdom has officially withdrawn form the European Union. However, during the negotiation period which has started, THERE IS NO CHANGE FOR THE BORDER CROSSING FOR PERSONS, VEHICLES AND GOODS.
ACCOMPANIED VEHICLES : IMPORT & EXPORT
The Import & Export process after the Brexit
CUSTOMS FORMALITIES MUST BE CARRIED OUT BEFORE THE VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE PORT OF CALAIS
To ensure an optimal flow, it is essential that the formalities have been carried out - both for import and export - on the French online customs declaration platform : pro.douane
THE DRIVER OF THE VEHICLE MUST BE IN POSSESSION OF THE MRN (custom reference number) OR BAR CODE OF THE LOGISTICS ENVELOPE (*) issued by pro.douane on arrival at the port of Calais
- either in paper form (MRN package)
- or digitally (smartphone)
If this is not the case, they will not be able to embark.
THE VEHICLE MUST NOT TURN UP AT THE PORT OF CALAIS IF THE DRIVER IS NOT IN POSSESSION OF THE MRN.
(*) What is the logistic envelopes ?
The logistic envelopes allow you to regroup several declaration under a unique envelope in order to gain time at the smart border Transmanche, both at import and export, once operational as soon as UK will leave the European Union.
EXPORT (UE Calais / UK)
1 - THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURE HAS NOT CHANGED
The driver presents the usual goods documents required (CMR, UN code...) during check-in at the shipping company's registration booth.
WHAT HAS BECOME MANDATORY
2 - When the vehicle passes through the shipping company's registration booth, the driver must present:
- MRN (custom reference number)
issued by pro.douane. Either on paper or smartphone.
- THE BARCODE OF THE LOGISTICS ENVELOPE
AND THE INFORMATION BELOW, NOW MANDATORY :
- Good subject to special conditions:
* postal shipping
* value of goods < 1000 € (supporting invoice(s))
* CTU or Air Waybill
* empty trailer
- Vehicle under TIR OR ATA regime
3/ PAIRING IS DONE BY THE SHIPPING COMPANY
Pairing is the computer reconciliation between the MRN and the vehicle registration (number plate) which links the customs declaration for the goods transported (MRN) to the vehicle carrying them.
4/ ONCE THE PAIRING IS DONE, REGISTRATION WILL BE VALIDATED.
The vehicle can then go for boarding.
IMPORT (UK / UE Calais)
1- THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURE DOES NOT CHANGE (cf EXPORT)
WHAT BECOMES MANDATORY :
WHEN THE VEHICLE PASSES THROUGH THE SHIPPING COMPANY'S REGISTRATION BOOTH, THE DRIVER MUST PRESENT:
- the same information as for export
- the veterinary or phytosanitary certificates for vehicles carrying fishery products or goods subject to veterinary and phytosanitary controls.
More on the veterinary and phytosanitary controls (SIVEP)
2 - PAIRING IS DONE BY THE SHIPPING COMPANY
Once pairing is complet, registration is validated. The vehicle can then go for boarding.
3 - DOCUMENTARY CHECKS ARE CARRIED OUT BY FRENCH CUSTOMS DURING THE CROSSING
Following these checks, a status will be assigned to the goods:
- GREEN STATUT: The file is in order, the vehicle can leave the port as soon as the ship is unloaded (as today)
- ORANGE "CUSTOMS" OR "SIVEP" STATUS: the file needs to be put in order or the load inspected. The vehicle can only leave the port once this has been done. The driver must park in the parking areas provided for this purpose.
4- KNOWING THE CUSTOMS STATUS OF GOODS
- Your customs broker (RDE) will know the status of the goods via the "pro.douane" customs declarations platform and can proceed immediately to validation of the declaration in case of orange status or organise the sanitary inspection of the goods if this is the case.
- AT THE SAME TIME, the driver will know the status of the trailer on board the of the ferry:
* either by consulting the dedicated display screens in the "driver" areas on board ferries. The vehicle's plate number will appear either in green or orange.
* or by connecting to the web application by the port of Calais : http://customs.calais-port.fr (also accessible to the carrier).
The app is live 24/7 and available in 13 languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian, German, Romanian, Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, Hungarian, Lituanian, Czech and Turkish.
Just enter the vehicle's registration (plate number)
The driver will then know if he/she can leave the port as soon as the ferry is unloaded (GREEN STATUS) or has to go and park (ORANGE STATUS) in the parking areas provided for this purpose while the declaration is put to order.
It is highly recommanded that the carrier/road haulier should communicate to the driver the telephone number of the custom broker or company.
5 - WHAT SHOULD THE DRIVER DO IN THE EVENT OF ORANGE STATUS?
In most cases, drivers can monitor their changing status via the port's web application. As soon as it changes to GREEN STATUS, they can leave the port.
However, for certain regularisations (customs controls or physicals inspections of the goods), only the custom broker (RDE) (or their clerk) will have the customs clearance (BAE) information. The driver must follow instructions.
CAUTION: LEAVING THE PORT WITHOUT REGULARISATION WOULD BE TREATED AS A BREACH OF THE CUSTOMS CODE (CONTRABAND)
The case of cargo made up of fishery products
1 - The customs broker will have made up a transit form from T1 or T2
2 - With a green status, the driver goes directly to SIVEP in Boulogne-sur-Mer (closer to the delivery points) without going through the SIVEP at the port of Calais to carry out documentary and identity checks and any physical inspections
SIVEP BOULOGNE SUR MER : 105 rue Constantine
A "BREXIT- lorry driver, what will change for me?" flyer is available in 13 languages. It is available on the ferries in the "drivers" areas and downloable right here by clicking on the flags below:
UNACCOMPANIED TRAILERS : EXPORT AND IMPORT
Process EXPORT (EU Calais / United Kingdom)
The driver demoverong the vehicle at the "unaccompanied parc" of the port of Calais must present the usual goods documents required (CMR, UN code...) generated by the customs declaration system.
For unaccompanied trailers, the documents must travel with the trailer.
The bar-code will then be scanned at the trailer's delivery at the entrance of the unaccompanied parc : NO OTHER FORMALITY.
Process IMPORT (United Kingdom / EU Calais)
As for export, the customs formalities must be done at the departure in Dover.
For unaccompanied trailers, the documents must travel with the trailer.
Then a status will be assigned to the goods :
- GREEN STATUT: The file is in order, the driver can pick up the trailer and leave the unaccompanied park.
- ORANGE "CUSTOMS" OR "SIVEP" STATUS: the file needs to be put in order or the load inspected. The trailer can only leave the port once this has been done. The driver should not turn up at the unacommpanied park.
Road hauliers/cariers can follow the status of their goods by connecting to the web-application of the port of Calais at the following address: https://customs.calais-port.fr. After filling in the licence plate, the status of the trailer will appear.
Download the "Brexit preparation guide"
Road hauliers, you can find all those information on two downloable PDF below:
ANY QUESTIONS ?
Please connect to those websites :